Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tree Bridge



Gouache & Ink on paper.

Lately, I've been thinking about my bonsai and plants, and how well they are able to adapt to their surroundings. Most of my plants are succulents it's no big deal if they loose a leaf because I can just stick the leaf in dirt and it starts to grow another plant! I have a whole bunch of little plants that were started in this way from their bigger mom plant.

This painting of mine depicts a giant tree that people have trained to become a bridge; connecting the two hillsides. While the binding distorts the tree in a position that it would not have normally took, the people take great care of the tree, replanting any leaves that may fall. This process helps repay the tree (along with other offerings) for letting them use it for a bridge.

1 comment:

lsquaredstudios said...

Nice Post! I appreciate your explanation to go with the picture. Beautiful painting - ofcourse but I also appreciate the thought process behind it.