Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gallery 1988 + Hello Giggles Young Adult Art Show

Opening this Saturday at Gallery1988 (Melrose) in California is the art show "Young Adult" celebrating your favorite novels from childhood. The gallery teamed up with Hello Giggles - a positive online community for women created by Zooey Deschanel, Molly McAleer, and Sophia Rossi.


Mystery of the 56 Clues
10 x 12.5 inches
Gouache and ink on paper
© Nicole Gustafsson 2012

I'm a Nancy Drew fan so I wanted to create a piece with clues to her most famous capers. There are hundreds of books, spin offs, and tv shows in the Nancy Drew world, so I choose to focus on the original 56 books published by Grosset and Dunlap. Within my painting there are visual references to each of these 56 books.

One thing I didn't know about Nancy Drew was that they're were several ghost writers, and many editors - that would explain some of the differences between the books. Nancy Drew was something I read growing up and I'm glad to see that the series is still much loved. (Although it is kind of weird re-reading them as an adult...you notice certain things that kids would have no clue was weird.)


Wish I could make it out to this one, but my art can attend for me. But if your in the area this Saturday be sure to check it out. Artists have been posting little bits and peeks of their contributions and everything looks awesome!

No comments: