Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Paint, ink, and paper


I've been getting quite a few questions about the materials I use for my paintings, so I thought I would share all my info here!

Paint: Holbein Acryla Gouache ( I order mine online at Dick Blick, doesn't tend to be carried at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Local art shops may order it for you if you ask though)

Pens: Micron (These seem to be available lots of places - scrapbooking shops, office stores, art stores, pen stores, etc), and Uniball Vision Micro Pen (Available at office stores)

Paper: Rives BFK (this is a printmaking paper, I love the way it absorbes the paint, but beware it cannot take a lot of abuse. )

Paint Brushes: I don't have any brand loyalty when it comes to brushes. I tend to just buy whatever is on sale at the art shop. I like the longer, liner brushes for detail work.

I've used everything from watercolors to oils, thick Arches 300lb paper, and painting on wood. At the end of the day I settled on this acryla gouache on paper because it's what just felt right to me. It's what I'm happiest painting with and it gives me the look I'm going for. Don't be afraid to try different mediums and materials to find what is right for you. Even just trying a tube or two will give you an idea if you like a certain paint.



No comments: